You are not connected. Please login or register

Downvote button for posts

Fapplecake

Fapplecake

Downvote button for posts EmptyPosts : 61
Fapplecake

Sometimes, a post from a player is just so damn toxic or bad or off-topic, that you instinctively look for a way to downvote it, to give some sort of negative feedback without having to quote and type out a whole paragraph about why it's bad. I'm lazy, ok?
Having a way for the community as a whole to collectively show negative feedback on a post would be a nice thing. Then, as a result, posts with too much negative "karma" could become hidden and require the user to click a button to read it. A great many forums use this to keep trolls and the likes, or negative nancies, in check, without feeding them.

What this could also be, is a helpful assisting tool for forum moderators. When a thread's opening post collects too much downvotes, they would get a notification on that thread, without having to read through all the muck to find these toxic spills of verbal excrement, saving them precious time.

Last edited by Fapplecake on Wed May 20, 2015 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total

##1 - Posted Tue May 19, 2015 9:13 pm
Atlas

Atlas

Game Master
Game Master
Downvote button for posts EmptyPosts : 245
Atlas

+1

##2 - Posted Wed May 20, 2015 1:21 am
LEgionDark

LEgionDark

Advanced Contributor
Downvote button for posts EmptyPosts : 1445
LEgionDark

- 1 for the ability to try to control what can be said
+1 allow Forum Mods have a more easy way to see and have another tool.

##3 - Posted Wed May 20, 2015 3:17 am
LadyLilith

LadyLilith

Downvote button for posts EmptyPosts : 47
LadyLilith

I m neutral in this one. I can see it being good and see how it can be not good. Mazey and staff will have the final say so. I will leave it up to them.

##4 - Posted Wed May 20, 2015 3:24 am
Fapplecake

Fapplecake

Fapplecake

LEgionDark wrote:- 1 for the ability to try to control what can be said
+1 allow Forum Mods have a more easy way to see and have another tool.
I was afraid you of all people would misunderstand what this is for. It's a community tool to leave opinions and self-moderate. The downvotes would have no effect unless enough people think your post is garbage. If your post has upvotes, those will cancel out an equal amount of negative votes and vice versa.

##5 - Posted Wed May 20, 2015 3:30 am
LEgionDark

LEgionDark

Advanced Contributor
LEgionDark

Actual, I have seen this suggestion being played out in other private servers' forum site.

Do you want me to play this out for you?

Forum Member A makes a post suggestion, where his or her friends sees what Forum Member A had suggested, and quickly supports it, since they know that Forum Member A would turn around and support theirs. Forum Member B decides to comment on the suggestion that Forum Member A had said, which Forum Member B comment about it in a different way. So Forum Member B gets his comment all downvote, because Forum Member A's friends would defend Forum Member A's Suggestion Post.

##6 - Posted Wed May 20, 2015 4:52 am
LadyLilith

LadyLilith

LadyLilith

My husband is right. All it will do, is cause more chaos then good. People will find a way to flat out say...Shut The **** up without even say it, so they won't get into trouble.

##7 - Posted Wed May 20, 2015 4:58 am
Fapplecake

Fapplecake

Fapplecake

LEgionDark wrote:Actual, I have seen this suggestion being played out in other private servers' forum site.

Do you want me to play this out for you?

Forum Member A makes a post suggestion, where his or her friends sees what Forum Member A had suggested, and quickly supports it, since they know that Forum Member A would turn around and support theirs. Forum Member B decides to comment on the suggestion that Forum Member A had said, which Forum Member B comment about it in a different way. So Forum Member B gets his comment all downvote, because Forum Member A's friends would defend Forum Member A's Suggestion Post.

You're just scared of getting all the downvotes, which, to be honest, you would.

##8 - Posted Wed May 20, 2015 5:03 am
Cloaca

Cloaca

Downvote button for posts EmptyPosts : 301
Cloaca

+1 to this suggestion, also, Fapplecake, aren't you doing exactly what your post says you're trying to avoid, which is feeding the trolls/negative nancies.

##9 - Posted Wed May 20, 2015 5:26 am
LEgionDark

LEgionDark

Advanced Contributor
LEgionDark

Fapplecake, I made my point. I said what I need to say. So I am leaving it up to Mazey and the Staff. They are the ones who makes a the final say so.

I will advise in respecting your suggestion, do not try to start an argument. I said what I need to say, and I am leaving this post alone.

##10 - Posted Wed May 20, 2015 5:31 am
LadyLilith

LadyLilith

LadyLilith

Fapplecake, did you realize that this forum has already have a foe list, where you can block someone on the forums. Which is lot better then making a DownVote. So base on that, downvote is not really needed.

##11 - Posted Wed May 20, 2015 5:43 am
Fapplecake

Fapplecake

Fapplecake

LadyLilith wrote:Fapplecake, did you realize that this forum has already have a foe list, where you can block someone on the forums. Which is lot better then making a DownVote. So base on that, downvote is not really needed.
How do you figure? A downvote would only apply to a single post, not the user...

##12 - Posted Wed May 20, 2015 6:04 am
JackSparrowYAY

JackSparrowYAY

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Downvote button for posts EmptyPosts : 1605
Pikachu 
JackSparrowYAY

Side note:

Fapplecake wrote:What this could also be, is a helpful assisting tool for forum moderators. When a thread's opening post collects too much downvotes, they would get a notification on that thread, without having to read through all the muck to find these toxic spills of verbal excrement, saving them precious time.

One of a forum moderator's job is to make sure that all posts are enforcing to the rules and being on topic. This means that pretty much every post needs to be read. Having a downvote system with the function that is described in the above quote will not necessarily help a forum moderator in his or her working, though it may be helpful for other moderators/forum users in a way that I cannot think of at this moment. When saying "forum moderator", I am obviously and selfishly referring to myself.

It is also important to take note that this forum is not the busiest one among the mass crowd of different forums. Therefore having a limit before a post will be considered as "toxic", inappropriate etc. may not be optimal.

Side note end x)

##13 - Posted Wed May 20, 2015 7:37 am
GragasIsFat

GragasIsFat

Downvote button for posts EmptyPosts : 41
GragasIsFat

##14 - Posted Wed May 20, 2015 3:40 pm

Sponsored content

Downvote button for posts Empty
Sponsored content

##15 - Posted

Permissions in this forum: